Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Names of Jesus' 12 Disciples

Did you ever notice that of the twelve disciples, there were two Simons, and two James?
Mark 3:16: And Simon he surnamed Peter; Mark 3:17: And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder: Mark 3:18: And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite, Mark 3:19: And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him: and they went into an house.
It feels like I've not been paying attention for the past forty-four years!!

I recognize Judas Iscariot, and Peter, and James and John and Matthew. But not Bartholomew and Thaddaeus. And I didn't realize Jesus gave surnames.

My Strong's Greek reference which I use within E-Sword, tells me the original Greek word for surname is "epikaleomai" pronounced:
ep-ee-kal-eh'-om-ahee
Middle voice from G1909 (superimpose) and G2564 (call); to entitle; by implication to invoke (for aid, worship, testimony, decision, etc.): - appeal (unto), call (on, upon), surname.

Are you saved? Would you like to know where you will spend eternity? I invite you to visit Do You Know Where You Will Spend Eternity? from Florida Grace Bible Berean Church. Please notify me if this link breaks!

No comments: