Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Glory In Tribulations

I had a difficult day today.

I had to do some research and gather some documentation and it was hard to make my way through it.

Then I got home and things started bumming me out.

I'm tired, so that makes things seem even worse.

I wrote an email to a good friend, who I knew would be able to read my venting. As I ended my email, I thought I'd try to look for something on the bright side. As I sat there a moment, my study from Romans the other day came to mind. The part about how we are to "glory in tribulations". Here the passage is again.
Romans 5:1-5 KJV Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: (2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; (4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope: (5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
We live in a sin cursed world, so our lives are not going to be happy every minute. Which brings to mind another scripture verse - how I wish I had these memorized, but thankfully I have my e-Sword so I can find what I'm looking for quickly.
Philippians 4:11 KJV Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
Paul spoke these words. He says he learned to be content in whatever state he was in.

I can strive to be content in whatever state I'm in. Paul went through depression, too.

Today, while waiting for copies of the information I was gathering, I read more of Romans. I'm into Chapter 7 now. Paul says "God forbid" many times in Romans so far. Four times that I have noticed. I'm curious how many times I will find it in Romans:
Romans 3:4 KJV God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Romans 3:6 KJV God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world?

Romans 3:31 KJV Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Romans 6:2 KJV God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:15 KJV What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Romans 7:7 KJV What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Romans 7:13 KJV Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Romans 9:14 KJV What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

Romans 11:1 KJV I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Romans 11:11 KJV I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
I was able to really absorb what I was reading today. Paul talking about dying to sin. How our fleshly bodies, our "old man" wants to sin. It is hard to put into words! He's talking about the law and grace.

I have to get to bed now.

Are you saved? Would you like to know where you will spend eternity? I invite you to visit Do You Know Where You Will Spend Eternity? from Florida Grace Bible Berean Church. Please notify me if this link breaks!

No comments: